A Sustainable Conference
Electronics Watch aims to hold a responsible and sustainable conference because we understand the consequences our actions have in relation to human rights, working conditions and climate change worldwide and seek to contribute to a fairer and sustainable future for all. We are looking at all aspects of the conference including the venue, food, materials, local labour and travel. We are learning together how to make the conference as sustainable as possible, and invite you to send us ideas of aspects we may not have covered.
The KIT is a not-for-profit organisation which re-directs all benefits to sustainable international projects.
- Food is locally sourced and from sustainable suppliers wherever possible.
- All Tea, Coffee and sugar is FairTrade.
- Biscuits are from Koeckebackers (a social enterprise hiring people who have suffered from long term unemployment). Organic juices by Schulp (a local sustainable enterprise following the principles of circular economy).
- The conference will be a plastic cup free event.
- The conference will be a plastic water bottle free event, ECOtap water will be available in glass jugs.
- Food leftovers are picked up by Beter Buren, a local organisation which delivers the food to those who need it.
Many of our speakers are flying into the conference, which is unavoidable as we value their time and participation. In order to mitigate the effects of the carbon emitted through these flights we are donating a set amount of money, based upon the amount of carbon emitted per flight, to Climate Care, a carbon offsetting organisation. Climate Care funds projects around the world to improve energy efficiency, support renewable energy, and protect biodiversity and forests.
Whilst carbon offsetting does not mean that emissions from flying have no impact on the environment, it is a step towards recognising the true cost of flying and mitigating harmful consequences. We encourage participants to calculate the carbon cost of their own journey and carbon offset using this calculator.
If you do so, please let us know so that we can monitor the total carbon offset by conference participants.
Find out more about the project's Climate Care funds: https://climatecare.org/projects/
There is no need for you to print anything to attend the conference. Programmes will be supplied on registration.
All conference materials are printed locally to avoid unnecessary transportation, always going with the most sustainable print service available, and on recycled paper.
Conference banners are made from recycled aluminium with water based inks that do not harm the environment and can be recycled after use.