A Sustainable Conference
Electronics Watch aims to hold a responsible and sustainable conference because we understand the consequences our actions have in relation to human rights, working conditions and climate change worldwide and seek to contribute to a fairer and sustainable future for all. We are looking at all aspects of the conference including the venue, food, materials, local labour and travel. We are learning together how to make the conference as sustainable as possible, and invite you to send us ideas of aspects we may not have covered.
- The catering staff are paid the living wage as calculated by the Living Wage Foundation.
- All Tea, Coffee and sugar is FairTrade.
- Food waste from the conference will be turned into renewable electrical energy and used for heating.
- All food provided at the conference will be vegetarian. Vegetarian food produces significantly less carbon emissions than meat. You can find out more here.
- The conference will be a plastic cup free event.
- The conference will be a plastic water bottle free event, tap water will be available in glass jugs.
Many of our speakers are flying into the conference, which is unavoidable as we value their time and participation. In order to mitigate the effects of the carbon emitted through these flights we are donating a set amount of money, based upon the amount of carbon emitted per flight, to Climate Care, a carbon offsetting organisation. Climate Care funds projects around the world to improve energy efficiency, support renewable energy, and protect biodiversity and forests.
Whilst carbon offsetting does not mean that emissions from flying have no impact on the environment, it is a step towards recognising the true cost of flying and mitigating harmful consequences. We encourage participants to calculate the carbon cost of their own journey and carbon offset using this calculator.
If you do so, please let us know so that we can monitor the total carbon offset by conference participants.
Find out more about the project's Climate Care funds: https://climatecare.org/projects/
There is no need for you to print anything to attend the conference. Programmes will be supplied on registration.
All conference materials are printed locally to avoid unnecessary transportation, always going with the most sustainable print service available.
Conference banners are made from recycled aluminium with water based inks that do not harm the environment and can be recycled after use.